HP Creators Garage portal & application have thousands of users daily, including top leading creators and influencers. As HP Creators Garage platform grew in popularity and influencers began using the application more and more, the company's legacy infra system could not keep up with the demand. But being an enterprise, and they wanted to onboard top leaders rapidly without investing a lot in their own hardware resources to make that happen. They did not want to spend all their time maintaining the underlying technology, whether that be device connectivity or servers.
They desperately needed to minimize deployment risk and cost, speed up the deployment cycle.
'In some situations, recovering from a failed upgrade may itself fail, in which case we had a real emergency on our hands that impacts users and tarnishes the public image we're working hard to build' was a critical pain area shared by HP Team. The company also needed to find a way to easily build security into its portal and web-based application.
HP was running its application workload in the cloud, but the technology that private cloud used was holding them back. It didn't offer them the innovative features they needed.
The company also needed to ensure high availability. This is a mission-critical application, and the number of customers potentially impacted by downtime is huge. To overcome these challenges, they decided to move to infrastructure which is inclusive of CI/CD process and looked at many options but AWS was the clear leader in cloud.
The client's Application runs on .net and IIS app server. It uses window server 2016 for hosting the application and MS-SQL server 2016 Standard Edition as the backend database.
Why Amazon Web Services (AWS)
AWS is a secure cloud services environment, offering compute power, database storage, content delivery and other functionality to help businesses scale and grow. Explore how millions of customers are currently leveraging AWS cloud products and solutions to build sophisticated applications with increased flexibility, scalability, and reliability.
By moving to AWS, organizations are realizing benefits such as a broad IT infrastructure, support for a variety of use cases, feature sets, enhanced visibility, and the ability to deploy globally within minutes.
Considering the customers' requirements for running scalable, fault tolerant web application, i2k2 proposed the solution architecture which included configuring their Windows based application to EC2, database on RDS and integrated along with other managed AWS services. Key features of the solutions are
- Complete architecture has been configured in AWS (Mumbai) Region.
- To meet the needs for HA, scalability, and development agility, i2k2 suggested HP Team to have its website and apps on AWS.
- For the application servers we have configured IIS Web server on EC2 with Windows Servers in private subnets.
- Auto Scaling for web servers enables to scale its EC2 capacity automatically depending on predefined conditions.
- For Database, MSSQL Standard Edition has been configured on RDS servers with high availability.
- The new solution on AWS cloud uses Code Deploy for deployment, Code Pipeline for release automation & GIT as repository.
- NAT Gateway has been configured for outgoing connectivity to EC2 Instances in private subnets.
- OpenVPN has been configured on Windows EC2 instances for secure connectivity to HP team.
- Systems Manager is configured for patching the server & applications on Amazon EC2 instances.
- Solution uses CloudFormation templates for repeatable processes to stabilize DevOps environment.
Key AWS Services Used
- VPC (Virtual Private Cloud) | NAT Gateway | Application Load Balancer | WAF | KMS
- System Manager| IAM User |CloudWatch| CloudTrail | SNS
- EC2 Instances for APP Server | EC2 Instances for OpenVPN Server
- RDS for DB SQL Server | GuardDuty | Route53 | Lambda
- CodePipeline | CodeCommit | CodeDeploy | S3
- Speed & Agility: Time to deploy software changes went from 4 hours to 15 minutes, and each team can now develop and update its respective applications independently because the applications are resource isolated with no cross-dependencies
- Low Latency: They have also been able to keep latency within a few milliseconds to ensure services operate in timely fashion and deliver a high-quality customer experience. Elimination of responsibility for non-core competency resources.
- Reliability: Utilization of industry-standard best practices with Highly efficient infrastructure with auto-scaling groups to allow the compute capacity to handle the dynamic load and support structure to address changing business needs under Service-level-driven performance targets.
- Cost Management: HP Team has also cut the time and expense of managing its IT because most of the AWS infrastructure is used in pay as you go model and can scale when required.
As an AWS Advanced Consulting Partner & Managed Amazon cloud services provider, i2k2 provides comprehensive folio of cloud solutions along with prompt and reliable support. Our partnership with AWS goes several years back, even before we formalized our association with the company in 2013. Key reason to choose i2k2 was 20 years of proven business. Talent is vast due to extensive IT exposure in India.
About i2k2 Networks
i2k2 Networks is the No.1 Dedicated Web Hosting company in India and a trusted name in the IT cloud hosting services industry that offers a full gamut of cutting edge enterprise solutions which drive business in today's Internet-powered world. Our folio includes Dedicated Servers, Cloud Hosting- Public, Private and Hybrid, Data Center Services, Business Email Solutions, Managed IT Services, Backup, and DR Solutions, DevOps Services, Cloud Enablement, Enterprise Hardware solutions, and various other integrated services. A team of dedicated and professionally driven IT experts conversant with diverse client requirements are available 24x7x365 to provide extended support. With superior technologies to host, design and develop high-quality websites and applications, we ensure to deliver unmatched value to our clients.