About Customer: As India's second-largest airline, SpiceJet is well equipped with an extensive infrastructure, logistics and industry expertise to ensure goods will be delivered at doorstep efficiently. For several decades they have been transporting thousands of satisfied customers to their business or vacation destinations.
SpiceXpress which is a part of SpiceJet family already has over 2,000 corporate clients and continues to grow at a rapid rate and is continuing to establish itself as a highly reputable brand. With extensive experience in the airline industry, combined with attention to customer service, they guarantee a professional and hassle-free cargo and delivery service that always exceeds expectations.
SpiceJet had suffered technology Stability challenges in the previous years, principally in relation to managing the profound peak in system demand during the Confirmation & Clearing Process.
They have a large monolithic application for processing batch jobs that was difficult to run, deploy, and scale. A lack of resource isolation allowed memory-limit errors to bring down the entire application.
A new thread was created whenever a new job needed to be completed, and each job took up different amounts of memory and CPU, continually creating inefficiencies.
The infrastructure engineering team attempted to move to new architecture, but they ran into problems to manage the cluster which was complicated to set up and SpiceJet did not have the expertise or time required to manage the environment.
They also had various challenges in terms of implementing security measures with practical deployment of services and keep them intact. They also faced issues in implementing an automated environment with high availability.
Considering the customers' requirements for running scalable, fault tolerant web application and database, i2k2 proposed the solution architecture which included migrating their Linux based application to EC2 and integrated along with other managed AWS services. Key features of the solutions are:
- Complete architecture has been configured in AWS Asia Pacific (Mumbai) Region.
- To meet the needs for high availability, scalability, and development agility, i2k2 suggested SpiceJet to have its website and apps on AWS cloud to avoid scalability challenges.
- For the application servers we have configured Apache web server on EC2 with Linux Servers in public and private subnets.
- Solution provided by i2k2 takes advantage of Auto Scaling for web servers, which enables the company to scale its EC2 capacity up or down automatically depending on predefined conditions. Application load balancer and Auto scaling groups are used to ensure high availability across multiple AZ's.
- For Database, MySQL Community Edition has been configured on RDS servers with high availability.
- i2k2 provided Multi-AZ architecture solution to ensure high availability.
- The new solution on AWS cloud uses Amazon RDS for MySQL, Code Deploy for deployment, Code Pipeline for release automation & GIT as repository which gives the company the ability to quickly set up, operate, and scale deployments in the cloud.
- NAT Gateway has been configured for outgoing connectivity to EC2 Instances in private subnets.
- OpenVPN has been configured on Linux EC2 instances for secure connectivity to AIMA team.
- Systems Manager is configured for patching the server & applications on Amazon EC2 instances.
- Solution uses CloudFormation templates for repeatable processes to stabilize DevOps environment.
- Gradual implementation of Cost optimization.
Key Services Used
- EC2 Instances for Application Servers, Staging Servers and OpenVPN Server
- RDS with Read Replica for Database of MySQL Server
- Redis and Memcached cluster Node for Elastic Cache.
- DynamoDB for fully Managed NoSQL Database.
- Code Pipeline | Code Deploy | Repository | Lambda | SNS
- VPC (Virtual Private Cloud) | NAT Gateway | Application Load Balancer | Route53
- CloudFront | S3 | SQS | AWS Standard Shield | AWS Config | KMS
- System Manager| IAM User |CloudWatch| CloudTrail | WAF | AWS Guard Duty
- Speed and agility: Time to deploy software changes went from 4 hours to 15 minutes, and each team can now develop and update its respective applications independently because the applications are resource isolated with no cross-dependencies.
- Scalable capacity: Auto Scaling groups allow the compute capacity to scale up to handle dynamic job loads.
- Ease of use: Amazon Cache setup is straightforward, and it manages all the details of the cluster, the team had a prototype up and running in under 1 months.
- Low Latency: They have also been able to keep latency within a few milliseconds to ensure services operate in timely fashion and deliver a high-quality customer experience.
- Elimination of responsibility for non-core competency resources
- TCO: Lowered Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) while maintaining a high level of customer service and satisfaction.
- Utilization of industry-standard best practices with Highly skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced support staff from i2k2.
- Flexible support structure to address changing business needs under Service-level-driven performance targets.
Why Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a secure cloud services environment, offering compute power, database storage, content delivery and other functionality to help businesses scale and grow. Explore how millions of customers are currently leveraging AWS cloud products and solutions to build sophisticated applications with increased flexibility, scalability, and reliability.
By moving to AWS, organizations are realizing benefits such as a broad IT infrastructure, support for a variety of use cases, deep feature sets, enhanced visibility, and the ability to deploy globally within minutes.
As an AWS Advanced Consulting Partner & DevOps competent Managed Amazon cloud services provider, i2k2 provides comprehensive folio of cloud solutions along with prompt and reliable support. Our partnership with AWS goes several years back, even before we formalized our association with the company in 2013. Key reason to choose i2k2 was 20 years of proven business. Talent is vast due to extensive IT exposure in India.
About i2k2 Networks
i2k2 Networks is the No.1 dedicated web hosting company in India and a trusted name in the IT cloud hosting services industry that offers a full gamut of cutting edge enterprise solutions which drive business in today's Internet-powered world. Our folio includes Dedicated Servers, Cloud Hosting- Public, Private and Hybrid, Data Center Services, Business Email Solutions, Managed IT Services, Backup, and DR Solutions, DevOps Services, Cloud Enablement, Enterprise Hardware solutions, and various other integrated services. A team of dedicated and professionally driven IT experts conversant with diverse client requirements are available 24x7x365 to provide extended support. With superior technologies to host, design and develop high-quality websites and applications, we ensure to deliver unmatched value to our clients.