Microsoft offers built-in Windows Server Backup (WSB) utility over the operating system of the servers which is not always a robust tool for managing the system backups. The utility is available as an application that facilitates the backup creation only when configured properly. The WSB utility offers a simple method to backup data and applications on a Windows Dedicated Server with the help of different modes. The system state data is captured using one such mode and offered a push-button restoration of the data, attributes, and its metadata using the catalogs that ensures returning the data to its original location.
However, sometimes a seemingly successful and completed backup also fails to restore due to a failed or corrupted catalog file which makes it unable for the utility to read it, leading to a failed restoration. So to help users mitigate against the corruption of catalog files and bounce back from a server failure, here we present six preventive measures to restore Windows Server Backups like a pro!
Six Ways for a Worry-Free Windows Server Backup and Restoration
To prep-up your IT, you must start considering these six notable points to carry on a Windows Server Backup and restoration –
- Perform Restoration on Other Server: Sometimes it is advisable to perform restoration of data and application on another server so that certain variable such as OS type, updates, and hardware do not get affected. Performing restoration in a totally different server offers a wide range of combination of services that allow customers to successfully execute the backup process.
- Copy your Backup: It is important to keep a copy of the backup archive before restoring the data located within them after verifying the corrupted catalogs.
Suggested reading – Boost Your IT Operations with the Correct Levels of Data Backup and Recovery
- Reviewing the File, Security and Share Permission: As the catalog and XML files are corruption prone, so it is always better to prepare proper ACL permissions beforehand while restoring the data after fall back. Windows Server backup restoration uses certain commands that preemptively export the ACLs for critical data and later re-imports after successful data restoration.
- Mounting VHDX file within the Archive: Users must find the host name of the device, which they wish to backup, present in the archive. A Virtual Hard disk (VHDX) file is present inside the archive that contains all the data of the Windows Server. WSB utilizes this VHDX file format to store data and application as the file can be easily transported and mounted by most of the modern Windows Operating Systems. The VHDX files can also be imported to a VM for simple recovery if the server fails and this is one of the added advantages of having this file while restoration. This helps the server to get back online again. The versatile VHDX files are capable to be mounted on any desktop and extract the desired data from the archive, adding purpose to data restoration.
- Verification of Business-Critical File Data: it is important to verify the integrity of the business-critical data and applications to generate a unique hash value for each file. Windows Server Backup check these hash values against the restored values and authenticate it before uploading onto the server, keeping data in its original and unmodified.
Suggested reading – Considering Cloud Backup Solutions for Ransomware Recovery
- Frequent Testing of Backup Restore: Checking the Backup restoration process on a regular interval helps mitigate the data corruption to further extent. Potential threats and vulnerabilities that can lead the server failure can be detected in advance and the user gets additional time for implementing corrective measures. If frequent testing verifies the proper functionality of backup and restore, then data loss can be reduced to a certain level.
These strategies will help out users to restore their Windows Server and its application after a server breach, which impacts the revenue and reputation of a business, causing a domino effect of the consequence over the enterprise. But why wait for such event to occur? You can save your enterprise from such catastrophe by availing best-in-class backup services from our organization, i2k2 Networks, who put server backup solution in the most desirable form- Simplest, Reliable, and Scalable. You can totally overcome the challenge of server backup with our customized, easy-to-use, secured data backup and recovery solution. We cater to different flavors of server backup and restoration for different operating systems. To know more about our services, you can give us a call at +91-120-466-3031 | +91-971-177-4040 or can even drop a mail to email@example.com to help our executives reach you!