Link baiting is the new buzz word in the SEO world and has now become the considered way to natural link building. Link baiting is actually the art of writing a quality, interesting and informative article, building a useful tool or running a newsworthy event on a website.
It means to create something that can attract visitors and the backlinks naturally for your web page by getting people to talk about it, discussing it on forums, blogging about it, posting it on Furl, Shoutwire, del.icio.us and Digg and linking to it from their websites.
What is the list of Idea?
1. Interview prominent people and publish it.
2. Make a valuable resource (special reports, lists, history of etc.)
3. Write an interesting article
4. Run a newsworthy event like a contest
5. Build a useful tool
6. Be the first person in doing something on the internet
7. Write something controversial
8. Test something new
9. Write a theory and back it up with logics
10. Be the first person to research and document something
11. Be the first person to expose a scammer
12. Be the first person to write the latest news in your niche
13. Disagree with an authority
14. Write some funny humor
15. Make an interesting picture
16. Make a tool that others can put on their sites but that links to you
17. Make a theme, piece of software
18. Make a resource i.e. just in time for a major event
19. Make a joke about a known person
20. Write useful comments on something that is happening
21. Give something valuable
22. Get people to talk about an interesting topic
23. Become an expert in your niche and write valuable information
So, the article is the bait and the link is the catch. A well created page can capture too many links on its own without any effort from your side. Therefore, Link baiting is very profitable.