Cloud backup being an essential approach for a significant amount of time still brings some challenges along with it. Few factors such as shifting the business landscape and mainstream adoption of cloud services lead to these challenges. Previous cloud environment differs vastly when compared to the present day cloud scenario.
Let us discuss some of the points in this post in order to craft the best possible cloud backup strategy to simplify the planning process.
Factors affecting Cloud Backup Strategy –
1. Managing Cloud Backup Solution: An ideal cloud backup solution is easy to manage and intuitive. Users must look for scalability to avoid bandwidth limitations and slow load times as a backup which takes days to complete adversely effects the business to a great extent. Also, a customization level offers users with the ability to tailor-made the solution as per the organization’s requirement.
Some of the best practice of customization leads to:
- Generate backup completion status so as to track the backup cycle as successful or failed for a unique data set that the user chooses with the solution.
- Failed files and objects representing the history of backup failures to be used as an aid for troubleshooting. This helps backup plan to plan an easy remedy for any issue in advance.
- Alerts that help users to take immediate actions against any backup issue which is not working properly.
- Remotely manage, secure, monitor or verify the data and applications through remote access.
2. Payment: Cloud backup offer various modes of payments. Organizations can choose among them as their on-time payment method at the time of signing the contract with the backup service provider. Users can also choose a pay-as-you-go model if they have unambiguous business plans. Pricing varies based on the payment mode selected by the user.
3. The Flexibility of Storage Components: Consider the data storage option while developing your cloud backup strategy. Apart from the traditional storage options, companies nowadays are opting “bring your own cloud” strategy that allows businesses to use third-party cloud services for certain tasks.
4. Backup Notifications: Although the customized reporting help users to keep the organization aware of the available backup and disaster recovery options, the backup notification offers the user the ability to stay ahead with their backup process without constantly seeking the interface. A notification system allows the user to “set and forget” the data backup management. This eliminates the need for constantly checking up on the backup files and processes and help users to receive updates and reports automatically.
5. Cross-Platform Capabilities: One of the final considerations for cloud backup is compatibility. If the user deploys several operating systems and applications, the cloud backup solutions need to support them for seamless functioning.
Looking out for an ideal cloud backup solution includes various strategies so that the solution can be capable enough to work with major operating systems and varied applications. Here are some sets of questions that one needs to ask before developing the cloud backup strategy which needs to be answered wisely. Let us have a look at it.
- Is your cloud service provider trustworthy? Once you opt services from a cloud service provider you completely rely on each and every solution to meet your requirements. So, users must check whether the service provider is capable to help organization while adapting future technologies and protect the infra from unforeseen threats and vulnerabilities.
- How secure is backup services and storage? Trusting a third-party with sensitive data requires high security. User must know in advance about the security policies and review the compliances standards as offered by their service providers.
- Does your provider offer a complete disaster recovery plan? Must check whether in event of a disaster your cloud the service provider offers recovery plans or not and how long it takes them to retain the services with the same ease.
- How to determine the cost? Keep a close look on the cost-determining factors of the backup strategy plan and try to develop under a permissible budget.
- What is the level of tech support? Users must inquire about the level of technical support and assistance they will get at the time of any urgency and about the mode of resolution as well. Sometimes the provider offers technical support for a limited time, for instances, 12 hours a day which might not be sufficient for organizations working day and night under stringent deadlines.
With so many cloud service providers with varied long-term commitments, it is fuzzy to decide the right choice for your business. Since the cloud is a powerful data management, backup, and protection tool, the services need to be scrutinized wisely knowing the full picture of the cloud landscape only.
For such help, i2k2 Networks is always available with its cloud-ready scalable solutions anytime anywhere. With advanced and highly secured cloud backup solutions & strategy, i2k2 Networks has been working tediously from the past 20 years to mark its presence on the digital world map. The comprehensive 24x7x365 live technical chat, call, and email support makes i2k2 Networks best in town. Our cloud experts are certified experts that help organization render their valuable support and consult only after examining their requirements.